The Museum of Architecture was founded in 1968 as a branch of the Lithuanian National Museum. Nowadays the Museum of Architecture functions as a department of the Center of Cultural heritage. The first exhibition on the contemporary Lithuanian architecture was arranged in 1972, when the Museum got the premises in the former St. Michael's church building. This church and the Bernardine convent were built in 1594-1625 and proudly stand among great renaissance architectural ensembles of Vilnius. It was built as Leonas Sapiega's, the hetman of Lithuanian Great Duchy, family mausoleum. Features of gothic, renaissance and baroque interlace in the exterior of the building. In 1976, the museum moved to the corridor on the ground floor of the former Bernardine observant monastery. In 1986, the whole complex of Bernardine observant monastery was transferred to the Museum of Architecture. After the restoration of the Independence of Lithuania in 1990, these buildings were returned to their rightful owners. In the meantime, the museum functions in these premises on renter's rights.
The Museum activities are based on the history of Lithuanian architecture. Collection contains items of architectural drawings, town planning material, photos, ceramic, etc. Museum's exposition is divided into two parts.
Lithuanian architecture 1918-1940 tells about the organization of creative unions of engineers and architects, restoration of the activity of institutions of the country. Designs of buildings of Vytautas Magnus University in Kaunas, works of the first graduates of architecture are shown. Attention is attracted to projects of planning of Lithuanian cities, most significant architectural competitions, designs of public buildings and creative works of the most famous architects (V. Dubeneckis, S. Kudokas, V. Landsbergis-Zemkalnis etc.).
Lithuanian Architecture 1944-1990 which acquaints with the architecture of the period of Stalinism and later achievements of Lithuanian architects of the Soviet period in planning dwelling districts of the cities and making designs for public buildings.
The Museum also takes part in various cultural and educational activities such as organization of various architectural events together with the Union of Lithuanian Architects; preparation and publishing articles about historical buildings and exhibitions organized in the museum.
Address: St. Mykolo St, 9