Museum was founded in 1987 and housed in a building of beautifully restored former Old Arsenal of the Vilnius Lower Castle. This striking white building was constructed in the early 17th century in the renaissance style on the site of the former city wall, part of which can be seen in the basement. Fragments of a defense wall of the Lower Castle dating back to the 12th-14th centuries and fragments of wooden pavement and masonry are on view in the cellar exhibition.
In 1987, the reconstructed eastern block of the Old Arsenal housed the first exposition of applied art. This ground floor exhibition devoted to applied art begins with the 14th century articles made locally in Lithuania as well as brought from abroad. They include works by bookbinders, vestments embroidered by monks, sashes woven at the Radvilos' mill, candle-sticks, reliquaries made by goldsmiths, glazed tiles, tapestries manufactured in Brussels, furniture made in the workshops of Danzig, porcelain from Meissen, Sevres and Vienna and Czech glassware, textiles, ceramics, amber and metal works. The halls of the first floor are devoted to applied art dating 1945 -1990. The exhibition includes textiles and ceramics, works of glass, amber, metalwork and jewelry.
Temporary exhibitions, educational programs, events, celebrations and concerts are usually held in the museum.
Address: Arsenalo St., 3a